Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Olde English

This morning Ethan said the prayer for breakfast and he tried to use formal English for the first time. Of course, it didn't come out well at all; but, hey, most adults struggle with it. Heck, I struggled with it when I first joined the Church. I think it is some kind of weird initiation rite, or something.

I have come to realize that none of us really knows how to use the terms appropriately. We just sprinkle some "thee's," a few "thou's" and a dash of "thine" in with our prayer, and call it good.

So, my question is: to what extent should we use these terms?

Growing up, prayer was more of a general expression of gratitude for the good things we had, but it was very rarely directed at a particular deity. So, when I was introduced to the way Latter-day Saints prayed it was a very strange experience. I remembered a few terms from some Shakespeare that I read in High School, that I tried to throw in the mix. I think there was even a dost in there somewhere. At any rate, it wasn't quite what people were used to hearing.

I think that I became really dedicated to using old English after my mission. It sounded something like: Wilst thou remember thy servant who dost thy will. That's a rough approximation. The problem I ran into is the dang language barrier. Nobody talks like that anymore.

So, how do we know to what extent to use those terms? Maybe just a little dab'll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment